What is Kimchi Fried Rice?
Kimchi Fried Rice (김치볶음밥 – Kimchi Bokkeumbap), is a fried rice dish made primarily by stir-frying Kimchi and rice together with some seasonings along with other available ingredients, such as diced vegetables or meats. It is such a comforting dish, that is affordable and the best part is that it comes together in less than 15 minutes from start to finish and uses simple ingredients that you might already have at home.
Best Rice for Kimchi Fried Rice
2 cups day-old cooked white rice rice that has been cooked and cooled in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight. Jasmine
How to Season Kimchi Fried Rice
The best part of this dish is that it is a thrifty comfort dish that makes use of leftover cooked rice and kimchi from the fridge. Feel free to experiment and add extra ingredients you have on hand to keep things interesting.
Gochujang: Gochujang or red chili paste is a savory, sweet, and spicy fermented condiment, popular in Korean cooking. It is made from red pepper mixed seasoning (red pepper powder, salt, garlic, onion), fermented soybean paste and glutinous rice.
Aji Nori Furikake (Seasoned Mix)
How do I make the best Kimchi Fried Rice?
I really need is that runny egg on top, letting it drip right into the fried rice goodness.
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup Kimchi (chopped + 1-tablespoon kimchi juice)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups day-old cooked white rice (rice that has been cooked and cooled in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight)
- 1-2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper (to taste)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- Sriracha hot sauce (for garnish)
- Add oil to a wok or large fry pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped kimchi and toss for 1 minute. Separate the cold, cooked rice kernels with your fingers and add to the pan. Toss gently to combine.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Make a well in the center of the wok. You can add a tiny bit more of oil if you’re worried about sticking. Add the eggs to the well that you made. Scramble in the center of the pan then mix with rice mixture.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, and 1 chopped green onion. Toss gently to combine (you don’t want to over-stir the rice and make it mushy).
- Taste and add pepper, salt or more soy sauce, as needed.
Serve immediately garnished with additional green onion and sriracha hot sauce. Kimchi fried rice is a great accompaniment to Pork Buglogi!)