Banana Morning Muffins Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 super ripe bananas (I’m talking brown bananas with yellow spots kind of ripe!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4+ 2 tablespoons cup chopped toasted nuts of your choice (divided)
- 3 tablespoons oats (make sure they are gluten free oats if that is of concern)
- 1 tsp honey
1. In a small bowl whisk together the chia seed and water to create a binding gel (this will serve to replace eggs in this recipe). Whisk vigorously for a minute before putting the bowl in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with liners, parchment paper, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Sift together oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of toasted nuts.
4. In a separate bowl, peel and mash the banana. Then beat using an electric mixer or your strong arm and a fork until the banana releases its sugars and is a liquid-ish mush. Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract.
5. Take the chia and water gel mixture out of the refrigerator and whisk for another minute before adding to the banana mixture.
6. Gradually add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, mixing in between additions.
7. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins with a 1/4 cup measure.
8. In a new bowl mix together the rest of the toasted nuts, oats, and honey to make a crumble. Top each muffin with the crumble mixture.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they become golden brown and pull away from the edge of the muffin tin. A knife/toothpick will come out almost clean when inserted. To avoid mushy-bottomed muffin remove from the muffin tins to cool. Enjoy! They’re particularly tasty with some nut butter!